Thank you A Figment of Fitness for the nomination! I had no idea you were following me and wouldn’t have known had I not checked my Referrers sections–what a pleasant surprise!
(01) Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their site.
(02) Put the award logo on your site.
(03) Answer the questions the tagger has given you.
(04) Nominate ten people, and
(05) Make up ten new questions for those people to answer.
(1) What made your today most special? There are a thousand special moments in my day. When I take my first steps; when I drink organic fair trade coffee and think of all the people who harvested it for me to enjoy in that moment; when I drink it out of the cup I bought in San Francisco, an impossible yet fulfilled dream; when I take my pain management medication and know that I’ll soon have enough relief to actually live another day; when my dog, Muffin, and I see each other for the first time; when I hear the birds outside chirping; when I turn on my music and can forget that I’m sick; when I turn on my phone and see text messages from loved ones; et cetera. What made today even more special was being able to work on this website, at my leisure, without much suffering to distract me, and create a new blog post. Lately all of my energy has been spent toward coping with new challenges, and it hasn’t left me with anything remaining to actually do things I WANT to do.
(2) Why do you blog? What a wonderful question. This blog started because I felt I was talking too much about health problems on my personal journal. I needed to write it down somewhere, but the way I was doing it made it seem like that’s all I was: Someone with health problems. So I made this separate blog to keep up with my symptoms, treatment, and developing issues. I made it public, and a few friends followed, but I didn’t think many people would actually read it–now, every month people from over 45 countries visit my site, to my utter astonishment. Somewhere along the line I realized my way of thinking and writing was helping people, so now I feel like I have to keep that in the forefront of my focus, because with that also comes a responsibility to make your intentions clearly known, and not use words carelessly. Luckily, this is also a main part of being Buddhist, so they both teach me to be mindful. Now my blog is less about every new health development as it is how I feel about living with them and what I’m doing to continue enjoying life.
(3) What is one thing that you wish people understood about you? Maybe I used too many brain spoons on the first two questions, but, I don’t know…!
(4) What is on your desk right now? If you’re not at a desk, describe your surroundings. I’m using my overbed desk and all it has on it right now is the remote to this adjustable bed and my cellphone (face down, because no distraction). Oh, and the laptop!
(5) What is your favorite season? Describe how it makes you feel. AUTUMN!!!!! The weather makes me feel my best, symptom-wise, which is a major perk. Since it’s started, I’ve been able to drop 400mg off of my daily ibuprofen dosage and 3.25 off my percocet. I love the cool air; being able to keep my windows open even at night, and listening to the frogs and crickets; making a pallet on my porch to sit outside with my dog, a cup of coffee, and read, or listen to audiobooks, or draw zentangles, or just watch the leaves fall and enjoy the fresh air. Fall has always felt like the real beginning of the new year, to me. Plus, it is THE BEST season for theatre! The best dance performances, orchestras, and singers come to town.
(6) What do you do when it is o’dark-thirty and you are stressing so much you can’t sleep? I don’t. There’s no point in berating your body for not being able to fall asleep, or cursing the moment for not being what you want. It is what it is and your body will fall asleep when it’s able. Audiobooks almost always put me to sleep at some point, or at least help me enjoy that time.
(7) What is your obsession? Nothing really comes to mind! There’s a lot I’m passionate about and/or really enjoy–music, learning, reading, documentaries, dance (watching), but I can’t think of any one thing I’d call an obsession.
(8) When you are walking down the street, do you pick the street side or the building side of the sidewalk? …What?
(9) What is the town you live in like? It’s the halfway point between a large city and small town, part of a metropolis. Not enough people to drive you crazy, not small enough that major necessities like hospitals and doctors are missing. Outside friends who visit have told me that the people here are nice, but I’ve been around nicer, aha!
(10) What is your favorite quote? Oh, lord. I’ll just put a few that I like, because I have tons.
“When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.” (African Proverb)
“What would you be like if there was nobody else in the world. Who would you be if the only opinion that mattered was yours. Because if you want to be truly happy, you must be that person.” (An Englishman in New York)
“When a tiger, a powerful creature, forgets who he is, he will allow himself to be intimidated by a whip and a chair.” (Iyanla Vanzant)
“Never pretend to a love which you do not actually feel, for love is not ours to command.” (Alan Watts)
“Science is how God thinks.” (Deepak Chopra)
- Documenting M.E. (I know it’s next to impossible that you’d have spare energy to do this, but I’m still including you!)
- Mast Cells & Collagen Behaving Badly
- Musings of a Dysautonomiac
- Dreams at Stake (Again, just including–no pressure!)
- The ME/CFS Self-Help Guru
- Divorced, Diseased & Dangerous
(Just going to say this, now: I’m stealing some of the original questions–my brain is exhausted!)
- What made today special for you?
- Why do you blog?
- What is one thing you wish people understood about you?
- Which place that you’ve visited is your favourite?
- Do you have a phrase, mantra, or quote that gets you through those exceptionally-difficult days?
- What are you most proud of/feeling personally accomplished about?
Do you have any creative outlets aside from writing?
What are you doing/have you done to leave this world a better place?
Do you enjoy documentaries?
- Is there a life tip you’d like to share?
♥ a rainbow at night